We’ve listed solutions and answers to a few commonly reported issues. If after reading through the information below your issue is still not resolved, then please post on our support forums or the Wargroove subreddit. Posting there will allow visibility to both the developers and to the community who may have helpful information to share!
There’s a current list of known issues and workarounds maintained in this spreadsheet.
If you’re using mods and having issues – first try disabling all mods to identify if they may be a factor, then enable one by one to test which may be causing the error. Also make sure to update your mods when the game updates. Problems with mods themselves should be reported directly to the mod developer.
- Cannot Launch on Steam
- Error message ‘GL pixel Format not available’
- Error message ‘Node’~’ (null) at “(1:1)” is not a map type’
- Error message ‘Node’~Language’ (null) at “(1:1)” is not a string type’
- Audio isn’t working on my Alienware computer
- Crashing during Double Trouble online campaign
- Other Troubleshooting Tips
- I’m a YouTuber/live streamer; can I have permission to record and monetize Wargroove footage?
- What are the system requirements to play Wargroove?
- I have questions about modding
Cannot Launch on Steam
Outlined here are the most common causes of launch problems using Steam:
- Try Launching in Administrator mode:
- Navigate to your Steam install folder (Default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam).
- Right click the Steam executable.
- Follow the above steps to set it to Run as Administrator.
- Restart Steam.
- Make sure your Media Package is up to date or installed: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3145500/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions
- Make sure that Visual C++ is update to date: https://www.chip.de/downloads/Visual-C-2010-Express_24081894.html
- Remove any Joysticks and XInput Flight controllers you may have plugged in (We’re working on a fix for this)
- Make sure all your drivers are up to date, including Windows updates
- Run the game in OpenGL
- Run the game with the launch peramiter ‘–skip-intro’
- Right click on wargroove in your library
- Go to ‘properties’
- Select ‘set launch options’
- Type –skip-intro into the text bar.
- Run sfc /scannow in the command prompt; this will find and replace any corrupted files that might be causing the issue
Error message ‘GL pixel Format not available’
If you are getting error message ‘GL pixel Format not available’ and are on Windows 7, you probably have your monitor set to use 16 bit colour depth. Here’s a guide on how to change it to 32bit: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/258-color-bit-depth-display-settings.html
Error message ‘Node’~’ (null) at “(1:1)” is not a map type’
This is caused by corrupted save files, please make sure the game saves before turning off your pc or alt-F4ing.
Fix: Take out the PlayerProgress file found in %appdata%\roaming\chucklefish\Wargroove\save
Rename the file ‘playerProgress.bak’, and remove the ‘.bak’ from the name.
Make sure Steam Cloud is disabled for Wargroove
Relaunch the game.
Error message ‘Node’~Language’ (null) at “(1:1)” is not a string type’
Go to %appdata%\roaming\Chucklefish\Wargroove\save_local and delete the options file there
Audio isn’t working on my Alienware computer
Alienware sound center sometimes it interferes with the game and either disables audio, or causes it to be crackly. Disabling it fixes any problems.
Crashing during Double Trouble online campaign
When playing the Double Trouble campaign online, some players have had an unfortunate issue where the game has crashed and prevented them from continuing the campaign. As of version 2.1.0, we have added a command that will let you reset your current mission from the lobby screen so you will be able to continue your campaign without losing all of your progress.
NOTE: This command is intended only for fixing broken online campaigns, and thus we strongly advise against using it if you have not been affected by such issues.
To perform the reset, the currently active player (whose turn it is) must select the game from the “Your Lobbies” tab, and then hold F2 + F3 for a few seconds. You will know the reset has taken effect if you hear a distinct chime.
If you are playing Wargroove on a gamepad, this reset can be performed by holding both trigger buttons instead. That’s LT and RT on Xbox. ZL and ZR on Switch.
Once you have performed the reset, resuming the game should bring you back to the campaign map, where you can start the mission again
Other Troubleshooting Tips
Copy the crashlog
Wargroove generates a log file which is extremely helpful to identify the cause of crashes. If you’re reporting a crash make sure to include this log information. The easiest method is to paste into pastebin (or an equivalent site) then include the link to the log in your report post. Including the entire log in the post makes it difficult to read.
Log is located at to %appdata%\roaming\Chucklefish\Wargroove\log.txt
Disable the Steam overlay
- Click the “Settings” button in your Steam window, then click on “In-Game Settings”.
- Uncheck the box next to “Enable Steam Community In-Game” and click OK.
- Disable the Steam Overlay on specific games only by right-clicking on the game title, click on “Properties” and uncheck
- “Enable Steam Community In-Game” in the “General” tab.
Launch the game without Steam running
Navigate to the folder you have Wargroove installed to and run the program directly from there. Typically, this is usually the following file:
- Windows (32-Bit): C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Wargroove\win32_bin\wargroove32.exe
- Windows (64-Bit): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wargroove\win64_bin\wargroove64.exe
- Mac OS X: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/Wargroove.app/Contents/MacOS/wargroove/Wargroove.app
I’m a YouTuber/live streamer; can I have permission to record and monetize Wargroove footage?
Chucklefish LTD hereby grants permission for the use of in-game audio & video for “Let’s Play”, “Preview”, “Review” and/or “Commentary”-style videos on YouTube, including ad-supported channels/videos. The creator of the video may use in-game audio & video for as many videos as desired.
Please include a link to wargroove.com OR any online store selling the title involved. Specific permission is required for any soundtrack use outside of captured gameplay.
What are the system requirements to play Wargroove?
Our minimum system requirements can be found our Steam store page.
I have questions about modding
The game’s official wiki has detailed documentation explaining how mod creation and use works in Wargroove.